Forget white – we’re dreaming of a GREEN Christmas this year! Having an eco-friendly holiday is as easy as making a few conscious choices to do things a little differently. Besides cleaning your home with Rebel Green’s natural cleaning products, here are a few more ways you can have a greener Christmas and a happier new year!
- Choose a real tree over artificial. For the ultimate green solution, try to find a live potted tree that you can reuse from year to year or plant in your yard afterwards. A Norfolk island pine is a great eco-friendly option, and it’s a longer living alternative to traditional evergreens and poinsettias.
- Once the chaos of the holidays is past, plant a new tree or two with your family as a “replacement” for the one that was harvested.
- Have your tree turned into compost or wood chips for landscaping mulch.
- If you are looking to get rid of an artificial tree, contact your local municipality about recycling options.
- Keep light displays to a minimum.
- Use LED or solar-powered lights.
- Turn lights off after bedtime or use timers for convenient efficiency.
- Make your own decorations using items from nature (pine cones, berries, boughs) or recycled materials (turn old Christmas cards and scrap paper into garland chains).
- Give handmade gifts – they’re more thoughtful than store bought!
- If you do choose to buy rather than DIY, shop locally and purchase items that are made in the USA (like Rebel Green products!).
- Choose gifts that are battery-free or made from recycled materials.
- Use eco-friendly wrapping, or skip wrapping altogether.
- Reuse gift wrap, ribbons and bows.
- Donate or regift any unwanted or excess gifts, rather than discard them in the trash.
- Make your own Christmas cards using paper scraps, old wall calendar images, or your children’s artwork. Better yet, just send e-cards!
- Buy local produce.
- Opt for bulk foods over packaged versions whenever possible.
- Cut down on food waste by not purchasing excessive amounts of food.
- Skip disposable plates and utensils; use fine china, silverware and cloth napkins instead.
- Eat or freeze any leftovers, then reheat or transform them for lunch the next day.
What are your favorite ways to be a rebel and go green during the holidays?